Saturday, June 19, 2010

New iPhone?

Not sure if anyone cares but I'm a real gadget nerd. This blog will consist of current news on apple products and gadgets. I've had two regular iPods, an iPod touch, a MacBook, an iPhone 3GS and soon an iPhone 4 in my lifetime so I've had a little experience with Apple products.

Just wanted to take a stroll down cellphone memory lane. So when the 1st iPhone came out, I was very anti-iPhone. My first cellphone that I paid for myself was a Sidekick II. At the time I really liked the fact that I had a phone that no one else had. After about a year, the Sidekick II had gone too mainstream and everyone, even celebrities had them. Next phone was a Palm Treo 650. That was a very good phone for keeping everything from appointments to email very organized. The main problem with phone was trying to keep everything up to date between the phone and my laptop. I then moved over to a windows mobile smartphone. That phone was great but like most windows based products, the phone began to run slowly and was always becoming glitchy. I finally made the leap to the iPhone 3GS after using an iPod touch for several months. The iPhone interface is so easy to use and I rarely run into any problems with the phone freezing up and crashing.

So who's getting the new iPhone? I spent about 2 hours on June 15th trying to order my iPhone through apple with no success. Finally tried ordering through the AT&T website and was able to finish placing my order at about 3:45 in the morning. As frustrating as it was trying to deal with all the processing pages from a non-responsive apple website, I'm glad that I ordered that first night as Apple.com has sold out 3 pre-order release dates.

Coming from the iPhone 3GS, I'm really looking forward to the multi-tasking ability. And lucky for me I still get to keep my unlimited data plan. For those who are going to be new to the iPhone service, I looked into the new data plans so you can make an educated decision for yourself if you want to get an iPhone for yourself. And if you're thinking you don't want a data plan, there's no way around it.

This is taken directly from AT&T's website.

"DataPlus – 200 MB of data for $15 per month

Designed for people who primarily surf the Web, send email, and use social networking apps.

On average, 65% of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB per month

If you use more than 200 MB, you'll receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15, replenished as often as necessary during the billing cycle.

DataPro – 2 GB of data for $25 per month

Designed for people who regularly download or stream music and video, or use other high bandwidth applications
98% of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 2 GB in a month on average

If you exceed 2 GB, you'll get an additional 1 GB of data for only $10. Each time an additional 1 GB is used up during a cycle, you will automatically receive another 1 GB at the same low price.

Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension."

I personally rarely go over the 2 gb cap but I've become a much heavier data user over the past few weeks so I'm very thankful that I have an unlimited data plan.

Well I think that's all for tonight. My next post will probably be regarding whether or not to jailbreak an iPhone.

- Joel via iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment